This collection of articles represents our hard work and evolution through the years. We are proud of our leadership on these subjects. From child trafficking in Nepal to issues on voluntourism, NGN offers a resource when facts are needed regarding these topics.
These publications represent one of the most important aspects of our work, advocating to reduce the spread of trafficking before it starts. We are often the only voice for those who have been silenced and these articles bear witness to that.
This list also represents our tireless work to convince Western embassies to warn people about the potential harm that can be done by volunteering in false orphanages. It shows our collaboration with like-minded organizations, governments, and bodies in Nepal and throughout the world, and how this collaboration can make massive changes regarding attitudes toward trafficking and volunteering abroad. Enjoy perusing the articles, and, as always, thank you for your support.
Embassy Advisories on Volunteering in Nepal Orphanages:
- Does volunteering in an orphanage create a demand for child trafficking?
- Wenn Kinder zu Waisengemachtwerden
- The dark side of orphanage ‘Voluntourism’ in Nepal that’s putting children at risk
- Helping hands on holiday: How to avoid the pitfalls of voluntourism
- Freiwilligenarbeit im Urlaub:Helfen, sich gut fühlen, abreisen
- J.K. Rowling breaks down why volunteering at orphanages can cause more harm than good.
- Debunking the orphanage myth
- Are we more interested in feeling good than actually doing good?
- The Voluntourism Paradox
- So findest du für Freiwilligenarbeit im Ausland die richtige Organisation
- The dark truth about orphanage volunteering
- I volunteered at an orphanage and now I campaign against it
- #StopOrphanTrips: How will volunteer tourism organizations respond?
- 6 reasons you should think twice about orphanage tourism
- Pity the Children
- Why we don’t support orphanage volunteering
- Why you should think twice about volunteering abroad
- How the Umbrella Foundation is helping end “voluntourism” in Nepal
- Aussies “unwittingly creating orphans”
- Crocodile smiles and con tricks
- So you want to be a voluntourist?
- Presenting Wisdom Wednesday: when volunteering in children homes might not be the best idea
- Wisdom Wednesday: Martin Punaks, why orphanage volunteering is not a good idea after all
- The kids aren’t alright
- Swiss National TV feature on Orphanage Trafficking in Nepal
- Orphanage voluntourism makes school students complicit in abuse
- A better way to go volunteering: Go Experteering
- Nepal’s illegal orphanages: what can be done?
- Evil can wear a compassionate face
- Children trafficked by fake aid workers rescued in Nepal
- Foreign adoptions ‘make children commodities,’ NGO challenges definition of human trafficking
- Stop the Orphanage Business
- Protecting Children in Post-Earthquake Nepal
- Update on Next Generation Nepal since earthquake: Organization responds quickly to support and protect vulnerable children
- Development professionals advice: don’t serve with children in Nepal
- Holidays in earthquake country: can we go to Nepal now?
- UNICEF Fears Surge in Child Trafficking after Nepal Quakes
- Boom in “voluntourism” sparks concern over whether the industry is doing good
- Interview with NGN/THIS Program Director, Samjyor Lama, on BBC World Have Your Say May 4, 2015.
- Want to help the children of Nepal? Don’t fuel the orphanage industry
- Don’t fuel the orphanage industry in Nepal
- Earthquake Orphans: What Nepal can learn from Haiti
- Nepal Earthquake – Further Crisis for Children
- Does this “Nepali” image make you want to build these children a home? Think again
- Nepal Earthquake Could Lead to a Rise in Institutional Care
- Interview with NGN Country Director, Martin Punaks, on BBC Radio (about 45 min in)
- Interview with NGN Country Director, Martin Punaks, on Channel 4 in Sweden
- The business of orphanages: where do “orphans” come from?
- Interview with Anna McKeon, Communication Consultant, Better Care Better Volunteering Network (Part I)
- Few Ideas for Action: A Short Essay on Voluntourism and Orphanage Volunteering
- Nepal Orphanage Volunteer on Rape Charge
- Orphanage Scam Volunteering Fuels Child Trafficking
- Knowledge, Power, and Inequality: Why I wrote the Paradox of Orphanage Volunteering
- Is Orphanage Tourism Fuelling Trafficking?
- Orphanage Scam Volunteering Fuels Child Trafficking
- Embassy of Denmark: The Paradox of Orphanage Volunteering
- Local Students Fight Orphan Fraud
- Bal Mandir rapists jailed
- Not for profit
- Fake orphanage biz boom in Nepal
- Orphanage Volunteering Conference Concluded
- Volunteers could cause “emotional damage” to orphanage children: Research
- From Orphanage Volunteering to Ethical Volunteering
- Best interest of the child highlighted during conference on orphanage volunteering
- Report exposes bogus orphanages in Nepal
- Orphanage Volunteering: An interview with Martin Punaks, Country Director Next Generation Nepal
- JK Rowling: Isn’t it time we left orphanages to fairytales?
- Children in Nepal Orphanages ‘At Risk of Abuse’
- Orphanage Tourism Overview by NGN
- Why UNICEF and Save the Children Are Against Your Short-Term Service in Orphanages
- Not All Is Well With “Orphanages”
- Volunteering to be a Tourist
- Orphanage Tourism is Worse than Many of Us Thought
- Nepal Adoptions Chief Raped and Groomed Orphans for Prostitution, Claims British Teacher
- Child Predators Detained
- Conor Grennan, Little Princes and Dil Shova
- 7 Children Missing from Lalitpur Orphanage, CIB Detains Operator
- Child Rights Violation on Rise in Lack of Effective Monitoring
- Nepal’s Orphans: Fighting Child Trafficking
- Raids on Orphanages: At Children’s Homes, All is Not Well
- Son of Yardbirds Drummer Jailed for 30 Years for Posing as Charity Volunteer to Sexually Abuse Children as Young as Six
- Student to Venture up Mountain for Trafficked Children
- American Helps Reunite Trafficked Nepalese Children with Families
- Minnesota Public Radio: The Search for Nepal’s Missing Children
- USA Today: “Little Princes”: Bringing Home Nepal’s Lost Children
- The Connecticut Post: New Canaan Author’s Book on Nepal Orphanage a Moving Experience
- The Daily New Canaan: Writer on Child Trafficking Coming to Library
- The Huffington Post: A Volunteer Trip to Nepal Turns into a Lifetime of Service
- The Chistian Science Monitor: Little Princes: One Man’s Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal